The Internet is perhaps one of the most wonderful innovations in the communications field ever in the history of mankind. Equally true is the fact that every invention has its own advantages and disadvantages. The advantages of inventing the Internet far offsets the inherent disadvantages it carries. As rightly said, necessity is the mother of invention. Man’s quest for more and more amenities has seen a thorough evolution of the Internet in recent times. By far the Internet has come to be known as the most powerful tool that man has ever come across. Briefly, some of the major advantages of the Internet can be described as:
- Communication – This can now be done in a fraction of seconds.
- Information – This is now available at your fingertips and the Internet is termed as the Treasure Trove of information and you can find any information under the sun.
- Entertainment – Online entertainment is very popular, as one can download games, chat or just surf the Internet.
- Services – Online banking, job seeking assistance, railway reservation or booking tickets for your favorite movie.
- E-commerce – business deals travel at a greater speed by transfer of information with the help of the Internet.
Evolution of Online Technology:
We have seen the Internet progress in leaps and bounds in the past two decades. For example, Online Shopping is just another way of shopping except that you do not need to waste your time in commuting to the mall. Consumers heave a sigh of relief of not having to leave their homes, yet make all their purchases online. You are able to pay via debit and credit cards, electronic transfer etc. Companies also find it easier to display online catalogues due to space constraints, and consumers surfing the net find very useful.
As a result of online shopping, the concept of online auctions has also become increasing popular. These online auctions permit sellers and buyers to obtain products and services more quickly and efficiently. Such auctions cater to the needs of a larger customer base. For example, eBay is the current Auction powerhouse. Though bidding and searching for products through such sites are free, the seller of products are charged some fees. Products that may not be easily available in the market can be found in such auctions, right at the comfort of your home.